Monday, April 25, 2011

April 26th 1986, Chernobyl

• HDR Photo

My goal on this website is to post new photos three times a week during the week. Reposting something that I posted earlier is saved for the Saturday Archive Series. But sometimes, an event or an anniversary overrides that goal. Tomorrow is one of those anniversaries. The 25th anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster.

Although I live within an easy day trip to Chernobyl, I have yet to visit there myself; sadly, I have yet to even visit the Chernobyl Museum here in Kiev.  Both of them are on my photography "To Do" list.  No, you can't just hop in the car and drive to Chernobyl anytime you want.  You have sign up and go with a company that is certified to run such trips.

Here's what I posted about this photo last year...

The date April 26, 1986 may remind some people of a specific event, to others, the date might sound familiar, and to others, this date is meaningless.

April 26, 1986 is the date of the Chernobyl disaster, and this sculpture commemorates this event. This event has more meaning to residents of Chernigov, since it was (and still is) the closest major population center (100,000+ residents) to Chernobyl. Chernigov lies 52 miles or 84 kilometers from Chernobyl.

Kiev, a much larger population center (2 million+) lies only 67 miles or 107 kilometers from Chernobyl.



No comments: